July 19, 2012

Associated Press

 

Robert Griffin III remained unsigned as the Washington Redskins opened the second day of their five-day rookie camp.

The Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from Baylor was the second pick in this year’s draft. The team’s third-round selection, offensive lineman Josh LeRibeus, was also absent again Tuesday July 17.

The two aren’t considered holdouts because training camp doesn’t officially begin until July 26. Neither can be on the field with their fellow newcomers until they have signed their contracts.

The collective bargaining agreement that was ratified by the NFL and the union to end last year's lockout was supposed to make rookie deals easier to complete with a system of slotting that paid players based on their draft position. It worked well for the Redskins for their choices from the fourth through seventh rounds, all of whom were signed by early June.

Griffin is due for a four-year contract worth about $21 million, roughly two-thirds of which would be the signing bonus. The hang-up apparently is “offset” language that would govern the guaranteed money in the event Griffin is waived before the contract’s expiration.

LeRibeus’ agent, Jordan Woy, said he had been talking to the Redskins on a daily basis, but they have yet to close the deal.

Griffin’s agent, Ben Dogra, was unavailable for comment. His client attended the exhibition basketball game Monday night between the American and Brazilian men’s Olympic teams at Verizon Center in Washington.

Fourteen of the 32 first-round draft choices, including top overall pick Andrew Luck, and 12 of the 32 third-round selections remain unsigned.

Parent Category: News
Category: Sports

July 19, 2012

By NOMAAN MERCHANT, Associated Press

 

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is in trouble again.

The talented wide receiver was arrested July 16, after being accused of attacking his mother during an argument, hitting her arms and face. He faces a charge of family violence, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.

The Cowboys had no comment on the latest stumble by Bryant since the Cowboys drafted him out of Oklahoma State in 2010.

Bryant had spent this offseason watching film, working on his conditioning and staying out of trouble off the field. Others noticed he was in better shape and more focused.

The 23-year-old Bryant surrendered after police in DeSoto, south of Dallas, issued a warrant. Police said Angela Bryant called 911 July 14 to complain her son was assaulting her. Police arrived to find her with a swollen wrist and thumb and bruising on her upper arms, police Capt. Ron Smith said. She told police she had grabbed Dez Bryant's shirt and he forcefully knocked her arms away, Smith said. Police say he hit her on the face with a ball cap and pushed her in the chest.

Bryant was released a few hours later without talking to detectives, Smith said. His attorney, Royce West, said Bryant posted $1,500 bond.

Smith declined to say what caused the argument.

"I don't know what the exact startup was, what caused everything," Smith said. "I just know that his mother got involved and got injured."

Police planned to send their case later this week to Dallas prosecutors, Smith said.

West said that he was still investigating the circumstances of the incident. One of his primary goals, he said, was to "make certain that the family heals."

"I know that Dez loves his mother," West said. "I know his mother loves him."

West declined to say if Dez and Angela Bryant have spoken since July 14 or what may have caused their argument.

Drafted by the Cowboys in the first round, Bryant entered the league having his last year of college nearly wiped out by an NCAA suspension for lying about having dinner with Deion Sanders. He ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills on game tickets and jewelry — and was sued by alleged creditors. Last year, he was kicked out of an upscale Dallas mall for wearing sagging pants. In January, he was reportedly involved in a fight with the rapper Lil Wayne at a Miami nightclub.

"All of us have had some youthful indiscretions," West said, adding that he questioned the truth behind some of the allegations. "We learn from those indiscretions and we move forward."

Bryant's potential has always been clear. A standout at Oklahoma State, Bryant caught 45 passes for 561 yards in 12 games in his rookie season. Last year, he had 63 catches for 928 yards and nine touchdowns.

He had mostly stayed out of the news this offseason, besides tweeting that his body fat was down to 3.1 percent. Owner Jerry Jones said in June that he saw more maturity and focus in Bryant, and quarterback Tony Romo predicted he would get better every year if he worked at it.

"I feel that I have learned a lot from all aspects, on the field, off the field," Bryant said then. "I see a lot of things more clear now, and I'm more confident in everything that I do. On the field and off the field, I try to make the best choices possible, and I feel like I'm doing a great job of that."

Parent Category: News
Category: Sports

July 19, 2012

By BARRY WILNER, Associated Press

 

Ray Rice and Matt Forte got what they wanted July 16: long-term contracts that sometimes elude NFL running backs.

Neither Rice nor Forte was enamored of playing under the franchise tag tender in 2012, and negotiations went down to the wire. Then Rice scored big with the Baltimore Ravens, getting $40 million for five years, while Forte took a four-year, $32 million deal with the Chicago Bears.

Also getting a longer contract just before the deadline was Jacksonville placekicker Josh Scobee, who will stay with the Jaguars for four years and $13.8 million.

Rice led the NFL with 2,068 yards from scrimmage in making his second Pro Bowl. He helped the Ravens to their second AFC title game in his four pro seasons.

"Ray has been an integral part of us earning the playoffs in each of his four seasons," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "His production on the field speaks for itself, and his leadership in the locker room is outstanding."

Although his numbers aren't quite at Rice's level, Forte is just as significant a contributor in Chicago's offense. Had he stayed healthy in 2011, he might have matched Rice, too.

Forte made the Pro Bowl for the first time, finishing with 1,487 yards from scrimmage, 997 rushing. He missed the final four games after spraining his right knee in a loss to Kansas City. The Bears lost all but one of those games, falling out of playoff contention.

Each of them would have played for the $7.74 million franchise tag — the average of the five highest-paid players at running back — had they not gotten the new contracts.

"I'm proud to be a Chicago Bear and excited to be here for another four years," Forte said in a statement released by the Bears. "I've been working hard this offseason and am looking forward to joining my teammates at training camp next week. I'm glad the business part is done and we can all turn our attention to football and our goal of winning a championship."

Scobee's tender would have been worth $2.88 million for 2012. His new deal is worth $3.45 million annually, with $4.75 million guaranteed. There are $400,000 worth of incentives Scobee could reach.

Oakland's Sebastian Janikowski ($4 million annually) and Phil Dawson ($3.81 million) are the only kickers scheduled to make more than Scobee in 2012. His new deal tops recent ones signed by Tampa Bay's Connor Barth ($3.3 million) and Denver's Matt Prater ($3.25 million), who both were franchised.

Players who are stuck with their one-year tenders are Lions defensive end Cliff Avril, $10.6 million tender; Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes, $10.2 million; Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker and Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe, $9.5 million; Cowboys linebacker Anthony Spencer, $8.8 million; 49ers safety Dashon Goldson, $6.2 million; Redskins tight end Fred Davis, $5.446 million; Browns placekicker Phil Dawson, $3.8 million; and Bengals PK Mike Nugent, one year, $2.6 million.

None of them will be a pauper in 2012.

Altogether, 12 players landed long-term contracts, led by the Saints giving quarterback Drew Brees the richest annual deal in NFL history. The 2011 Offensive Player of the Year signed a five-year, $100 million agreement; only Buffalo DE Mario Williams has gotten that much money, and his deal is for six years.

Arizona DE Calais Campbell received the next most lucrative deal (five years, $55 million), followed by Eagles wideout DeSean Jackson (five years, $51 million). Colts defensive end Robert Mathis got a four-year, $36 million deal, with Titans safety Michael Griffin getting the same amount over five years. Raiders safety Tyvon Branch was next at four years, $26 million.

Then came Scobee, Barth, Prater and Giants punter Steve Weatherford (five years, $12.75 million).

Parent Category: News
Category: Sports

July 19, 2012

Associated Press

 

The Brooklyn Nets continued their offseason barrage of signings July 18, agreeing to a new, two-year deal with power forward Kris Humphries.

Humphries, 27, averaged 13.8 points and 11.0 rebounds for the Nets last season, and has averaged a double-double in back-to-back seasons: 2010-11 and 2011-12. Last season's effort came on a one-year deal and for a bad team. Then still in New Jersey, the Nets went 22-44.

But Humphries, who will make $24 million over the life of the contract, will now be part of a new-look group in Brooklyn that includes guards Deron Williams and Joe Johnson, center Brook Lopez, and forward Gerald Wallace, who all either decided to re-sign with the Nets this month, or in the case of Johnson, accept a trade from Atlanta to Brooklyn.

"Kris has been a very consistent player for us over the past two years," Nets general manager Billy King said. "He has developed into one of the top rebounding forwards in the league, and we are very pleased to welcome him back."

Humphries was married to reality television star Kim Kardashian for a brief time.

The Nets also this month added some depth, signing veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse to a one-year, $1.4 million deal, and forward Mirza Teletovic to a three-year, $9.8 million contract. They also acquired forward Reggie Evans in a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, and signed backup point guard C.J. Watson.

The Nets have missed the playoffs the past five seasons, the last two as temporary tenants at the Prudential Center in Newark while the move to Brooklyn was finalized.

On Wednesday, the Nets will hold another press conference, this one for Lopez, who re-signed last week.

Parent Category: News
Category: Sports

July 19, 2012

Associated Press

 

The NFL and the players' union have agreed on funding of benefits to widows and other survivors of players from before 1993, an extended package worth $15.2 million.

Called Legacy Fund benefits, the league and union say eligible beneficiaries will receive an increase in the amount they were receiving retroactive to Aug. 1, 2011. Funding will be split as it is for other beneficiaries of the Legacy Fund: 51 percent paid by the NFL and 49 percent by the NFL Players Association.

Widows and survivors qualifying for the benefit will begin receiving their retroactive checks within the next two weeks. They will begin receiving their monthly benefits beginning Aug. 1.

 

 

 

Parent Category: News
Category: Sports

Page 36 of 42